Monday, July 26, 2010

More Bookish Thoughts...

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Man, talk about a pop culture sensation! Stieg Larsson has sold more than 21 million copies of his trilogy worldwide and is certainly the author on everyone's lips this summer. So, while I can't say I'm big on mysteries or thrillers, I had to get in on the craze.

My snobbish, literary ego would pronounce The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo total trash. It's full of cliches, some aspects are blindingly predictable, and both the beginning and the ending drag on and on (as one Amazon reviewer wrote - "my kingdom for a ruthless editor!").

But (and there's a big BUT here...), one can't deny that the author tells a captivating story. An unlikely duo of demoralized journalist and disturbed but brilliant young woman team up to solve a cold murder case. In the process of unraveling details of the crime, Larsson throws in some financial intrigue, cheesy romance and interesting history, all of which make the book a fun read. I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series!

No comments: